When you are choosing a company to provide chimney or venting services, the best way to discern which company is best is by learning which is a NCSG member and has CSIA certified chimney sweeps. These distinctions make it simple to determine which business is most qualified and serious about helping to ensure the safety of your home.
What does it mean to be CSIA Certified?
To be CSIA Certified means an individual has earned the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) Certified Chimney Sweep® credential. This certification is increasingly recognized as the measure of a chimney sweep’s knowledge regarding the maintenance and evaluation of chimneys and venting systems. Among those who recognize this distinction among CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps are industry organizations, insurance underwriters, and local and state federal agencies.
Becoming a Certified Chimney Sweep® (CCS) is not a simple task; a great deal of study is required. To earn this credential, an individual is required to:
• Pass an exam based on the 2006 International Residential Code.
• Pass an in-depth exam on Successful Chimney Sweeping (2009) and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 211 (2010).
• Sign the CSIA Code of Ethics.
The benefits afforded to a CCS include:
• Professional standing in the industry and greater credibility among clients and competitors.
• Aggressive trademark protection.
• Referrals from affiliated industries.
• National industry recognition.
• The right to place the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep trademark on vehicles and advertising materials.
What Does it Mean to be an NCSG Member?
A company that is a member of The National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG) has become part of the only nationally recognized trade association for chimney professionals. NCSG promotes the success of members who are in the chimney and venting industry. The NCSG is a non-profit 501(c)(6) association and advances the industry through public awareness campaigns. The association also provides progressive services and promotes professionalism and ethical accountability among its membership.
Those who are eligible for membership in NCSG, include:
• Chimney service companies
• Suppliers and manufacturers of goods and services for the chimney service industry
• An affiliate membership is available for any person or organization not currently engaged in the chimney service or venting industry but has an interest
The annual dues for voting membership must be maintained for a chimney service company in NCSG. Membership in NCSG signifies the following:
• A commitment to credibility and professionalism.
• Agreement to adhere to a Code of Ethics as well as possible disciplinary actions against those who fail to do so.
• Members have access to regular technical updates of Sweeping: The Journal of Chimney & Venting Technology.
• Verification of membership is simple and available with NCSG’s Find a Member locator.
NCSG members in the chimney service industry have access to services which assist in growth and success. The types of services available include educational opportunities at discounted rates, product discounts, networking opportunities, and technical support.
As far as chimney service and venting needs are concerned, a homeowner can do no better than to hire a company that is an NCSG member and has CSIA certified chimney sweeps.
Northeastern Chimney, LLC
37 Cody Street, West Hartford, CT 06110