Closer look at Gas, Wood and Electric Fireplaces
Do you love fires but don’t necessarily love the smell that comes along with them? Luckily, now there are options to choose from outside of the traditional wood fireplaces. There are also gas and electric fireplace options. These bring the same cozy environment with added convenience. Let’s take a closer look at each of these fireplaces to help determine which may be the best for you!
Gas fireplaces have gained in popularity over the last 10-15 years. Homeowners can still enjoy a cozy fire, but don’t have to worry about continuously supplying firewood and tending to the fire. Below are some additional pros and cons.
- Quick and easy on and off — no firewood needed.
- Minimal maintenance and no clean up before or after any of your fires.
- Contained safely inside your firebox.
- Efficient! You can safely heat different areas of your home depending on where you install them.
- Installing the gas fireplace can be relatively expensive and may require installing a gas line if not previously installed.
- You lose some elements of a genuine fire — specifically smell and crackle!
Wood fireplaces are a timeless addition to any home. The charm of a crackling fire is loved by many, and it comes with the benefit of providing heat to your home. Below are some additional pros and cons.
- Timeless charm of a wood burning fireplaces — crackles and smell included.
- No reliance on electricity — a great source of heat if you lose power.
- Different types of wood now — just be sure to always use a treated, hard wood for optimal burning.
- Could get expensive or time consuming if you have to buy wood from a store or constantly cut wood from your yard.
- Maintenance can be time consuming/costly — regular clean out, annual cleaning, and inspection
- Poses safety risks if neglected or left unattended
- Could be inefficient if there is no insert and there may be a draft if the damper doesn’t work as needed.
Electric fireplaces give homeowners the illusion of a fire without actually having a fire. The projection of moving flames have greatly increased over the years, and most even come with heat. However, it is connected to your electricity and will reflect in your monthly bill. Below are some additional pros and cons.
- Least expensive to buy and install — could be as easy as plugging the unit into a wall outlet.
- Very portable, can move from room to room if it’s small enough.
- Comes in all shapes and sizes to fit anyone’s style or room.
- They’re the most inauthentic of the options.
- Very costly because it will be wrapped into your monthly electric bill
- You’re out of luck if the power goes out.
No matter what your needs and preferences are, there is likely a fireplace solution out there for you. Ready to take the next step? Call a professional today.
Call Northeastern Chimney LLC today!
If you are in the Farmington, Newington, Avon, West Hartford, Simsbury, Bloomfield, Windsor or central CT area and interested in a new gas, wood, or electric fireplace, call the experts today.
We can answer any questions you have and determine a plan for installation. Call our expert team at 860-233-5770.