Reasons to Install a Pellet Stove or Insert
Traditional fireplaces may be beautiful and provide the ideal ambiance to create cozy memories, but they are inefficient heat sources. If you would like to transform your fireplace into a legitimate source of heat to be used in wintry weather, the good news is that you have two excellent options for making that happen.
Both a pellet stove insert and a fireplace insert are appliances that can be installed inside of your existing fireplace and provide numerous benefits.
Reasons to Install a Pellet Stove Insert
Pellet stoves are unique and ingenious appliances that are fueled by wood pellets. They generate intense heat that is blown into the home with fans. The following is more information about pellet stove inserts:
- With a pellet stove, you can enjoy a wood fire without the need to chop, store, and haul firewood.
- Pellet stoves are environmentally friendly choices because the pellets that fuel them are made with sawdust and other wood products that would otherwise be thrown into the trash bin.
- The highly compacted pellets burn completely and produce very little smoke; a minimal amount of ash is produced by a pellet stove, due to complete combustion.
- Pellets are very convenient to store. They are delivered in 40-pound bags that can be neatly stacked. No need to worry about critters entering your home, as can happen with logs. Simply ensure that the pellets are not exposed to moisture because that would prevent them from being properly used in the pellet stove.
- Pellet stoves are very convenient. Pour pellets into a hopper, and there is virtually no need to tend the fire until the hopper runs low, which can be as long as 36 hours, depending on the size of the hopper and the setting on the stove.
- You can control the amount of heat produce by a pellet stove. For more heat, feed pellets into the burn pot at a faster rate.
- Pellet stoves are available in a wide range of styles, and they are every bit as beautiful as other types of fireplaces.
Note: The fan on a pellet stove makes noise, though the level of noise depends upon the model you choose for your home. Also, a small amount of electricity is necessary to operate a pellet stove.
Reasons to Install a Fireplace Insert
Fireplace inserts are heavily insulated and come with glass doors. The burn process is completely different than in an open fireplace, and the combustion is much more complete. Because of the increased intensity of the heat produced in a fireplace insert, it is sometimes necessary to install a new chimney flue that is able to withstand the temperatures. The following are reasons to install a fireplace insert:
- Because of increased efficiency, logs burn more completely and evenly and your wood pile will dwindle at a slower pace.
- The same amount of firewood will give you at least three times more heat for your home than a traditional fireplace.
- With the added heat provided by your fireplace insert, you will have the option of turning off your central heating and lowering your electric bills.
Contact our chimney professionals for help transforming your fireplace into a more efficient source of heat for your home.
Northeastern Chimney, Inc.
37 Cody Street, West Hartford, CT 06110